NETCOR, provides the integrity engineering approach to evaluate defects in the pipeline and proactively manage the corrosion rate of each site. An engineered prediction of a leak-free period will be determined between integrity evaluations.
NETCOR, through a network of industry leading partners, provides the guidance and engineering solutions to find time-dependent defects such as external corrosion. Using proven direct assessment procedures to mitigate the areas of concern improves the performance, maintenance and monitoring of the Corrosion Control pipeline system.
NETCOR helped develop the Pipeline Integrity Management regulations and provides consulting services for:
- Integrity management plan development.
- High consequence area (HCA) identification.
- Pre-assessment planning and baseline assessment plans.
- Direct assessment surveys.
- Auditable trail and reporting.
Integrity management of pipelines is a systematic, comprehensive and integrated approach to proactively counter the threats to pipeline integrity. The use of pressure testing, in-line inspection and direct assessment methods are used to verify the integrity of a buried pipeline. However, not all pipelines can be pressure tested or run with in-line inspection. Two thirds of gas transmission lines and 90% of distribution lines are not candidates for in-line inspection (pigging) for a variety of reasons.
Pipeline Integrity Solutions:
- Assess corrosion rates, soil types, cathodic protection (CP) potential, condition of coating, etc., to predict proper reassessment intervals.
- Address time-dependent threats and stop their advancement.
- Monitor key control points to assure pipeline integrity validation.
- Improve performance of the cathodic protection (CP) pipeline system.
- Optimize inspections, maintenance and surveillance frequencies to reduce overall cost.
Indirect Evaluation Methods:
Types of Surveys:
- Close Interval Survey (CIS)
- Direct Current Voltage Gradient (DCVG)
- Alternating Current Voltage Gradient (ACV)
- Current Attenuation
- Pipeline Current Mapper (PCM)
- Depth of Cover
- Land Survey
Direct Examination of Pipe:
- Investigate, evaluate, document.
- Coating – type, condition, evaluation.
- Corrosion – mapping, measurement, evaluation, MIC.
- Pipe Defects – materials, welds, fittings.
- Damage – third party.
- Environment – soil type, moisture content, depth, pH chlorides.
- Cathodic Protection – P/S potentials.
- Root cause analysis.
- Determine if additional indirect or direct exams are required.
- Mitigate, repair or replace as required.
- Determine if additional cathodic protection needed.
- Determine corrosion rates.
- When did corrosion start?
- Corrosion coupons.
- Electrochemical testing.
- Like similar analysis.
- Calculate risk and reassessment interval.
- Remaining scheduled and monitored anomalies.
- Document and prepare reports.